Thursday, November 29, 2012

Different vs differentiated

Two days ago, I spent time playing my Ibanez RGA32. I wanted something different in my hands but handling an Ibanez won't conjure much difference in feel since I own more than 30 Ibanez guitars whose necks are somewhat variations of the same profile. 

But playing the RGA32 was enjoyable & I left this guitar out (of its bag) for more playing time yesterday. It's down to the tone- I simply love my Duncans despite currently messing with more DiMarzios in some guitars. Duncan's Distortion has to be my 'safe tone' reference & that's what is in the bridge position of my RGA32. It just works for all things, em, distortion related (duh!). The P-Rails in the neck is what I really appreciate- some thick, single coil tones in split mode, thanks to the P-90 section of this pickup. In humbucking mode, it's nothing disappointing, crumbs of that single coil snap could still be heard from it & that's an important contribution to definition (clarity to the rest of us). 

Buying an Ibanez these days would mean that I'm investing in an acquainted feel so it's rather pointless buying more Ibanez without making them different & putting my preferred pickups in them is definitely an effort to make them different. Different as in entirely not the same? After plugging many guitars into the same amp & having the same settings for all of them, they actually sound similar; any difference here would be slight but it's that crucial dissimilarity that makes each one of my guitar differentiated.

No comments: