Monday, December 23, 2013

Re-string Monday

I'm the sort of person who will not hesitate to try different string brands, acoustic versions included. Unlike the solid body electric where string tone gets diluted by the pickup performance, one can hear the tonal influence of string in acoustic guitars directly. We judge the string performance based on this standard in addition to feel. These days, strings get scrutinized for their durability as well. Back when I was starting out, I scrutinized them for their prices as well but this is the least of my concern now. 

The Pyramid set you see here is a .010s but it has a wound 3rd & ends with a .047 for the low E. The wound 3rd here means you have more bronze in your tone so it'll be a tad crispier. The .047 for the low E adds a wee bit more bass for your low notes but it's only .001 thicker than the traditional .046 in a set of .010s so the resultant more bass is rather negligible but still appreciated by those of us with fox & bat ears sensitivity :-)

Pyramid strings (acoustic) are available at SV Guitars.

Acoustic strings I've tried (as at 2013):
  • Ernie Ball Earthwood series
  • Darco (Martin)
  • Fender
  • Elixir
  • SIT (CRT series)
  • D'Addario/ D'Addario EXP
  • Gallistrings (Lucky Star series)
  • Acoustic Science
  • IQS
  • Kerly (Earthtones series)
  • Dr. Duck
  • GHS (Silk & Bronze series)
  • Dean Markley (Vintage Bronze series)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What do you think about acoustinc GHS??
I am using electric GHS they are for now my best choice.
I have added your blog to my bloglist,
Invite you also!!

subversion.sg said...

hi my friend :-) GHS makes great strings, i enjoy the Boomers, definitely but when it comes to acoustic goodness, the GHS could have been better in terms of warmth. not saying they are absolutely dud in this aspect but there are other brands out there offering this appeal for good money. currently, my current fav for acoustic strings: Acoustic Science/ Gallistrings/ D'Addario/ Kerly