Saturday, July 11, 2020

Mojo


I believe this is one of my better playing, better sounding guitar. This S470 used to be black but it's now this green-ish gold. I'm still on the lookout for 22-fretted S-Series & I know these can't be had new today. There are a few in the after-market but I'm not agreeable with the fret life of those despite going for good asking prices.


Just a minor revision this time - the bridge pickup is now a DiMarzio Mo' Joe (together with the Area '61 (m) & PAF 36th (n) - these make an unlikely attractive combo for me). Why bother? 1) The DiMarzio was clearing for a good price at SV Guitar 2) The Air Norton that used to be in there is more impressive in clean settings compared to an overdriven application.


I'm totally aware that the Mo' Joe was designed for Joe Satriani but I'm more attracted to what it has to offer EQ-wise. As seen above, it has a strong midrange response which is my staple; blame the extreme metal streak in me & my need to hear very harsh, intense midrange for that intent. Verdict - the Mo' Joe sounds crunchy at high distortion settings, extremely suitable for players in search of that doom-esque grizzle. However, as correctly implied by the EQ settings above, the spike in midrange isn't excessive. If you wish for that bass note chugging to see you through, it got you covered but do not expect a thick, PAF type palm muted motes.Bonus - it has an awesome split tone, very Strat-ish in a modern way. 

No comments: