Thursday, October 20, 2022

Tributes


One of those rare days when I could enjoy some guitar time on a weekday morning...

These are inexpensive guitars. They are the Gibson LP Studio Tribute models. They are discontinued but we do see them floating around in the after-market every now & then. The Tribute range sits below the Studios in terms of features & price. They were not meant to be top-of-the-range selections, just affordable instruments with a high playability factor. It's something to get if you have plans for intense playing episodes while avoiding possible heartaches when it gets rough-handled. 

The white one there is the 60s version with P90s. I simply love this guitar for its satin feel & those well-defined pickups. I would reckon the vintage dweebs would avoid this one as the P90s are quite devoid of nostalgia in terms of tone. These are very raunchy, distortion-loving pickups, removed of any woman tone. The 'burst is the 70s counterpart. It's not quite representative of a true 70s-era LP but the volute behind the headstock plus that wider outline are respectable inclusions. I have no idea if the 70s neck profile were this slim & playable but a quick reference to Gibson's online literature revealed a slim taper profile for this model. Also those pickups; very satisfying for distortion work. Mini humbuckers are overlooked beasts for black metal, really, as they are functionally piercing to manifest those misanthrophic ambient only true fans of the genre could appreciate.

Am I missing the 50s version here to make the line up sort of complete? I used to own one but sold it away as it feels too similar to the LPJ. Done episode, moving on.

I bought these instruments used. They used to look quite removed from their current images as they were tweaked to my liking. They were well-used at the time of their respective acquisitions but still remain very playable & worth the time & money. Just me, I guess.

OK, Black Adam beckons.

2 comments:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

BA, watched it last night... no spoilers :)

subversion.sg said...

I just enjoyed the Dr. Fate character, the rest are... meh.