Thursday, January 19, 2023

BOSSes (2)


So the new BOSS pedals are DS-1s. Predictably, one is the WAZA incarnation but what's the other?


The other DS-1 is the Malaysian version which I bought to prove myself right. I had a casual conversation last year with a certain someone who said the Malaysian version had a slight tonal difference. I disagreed because when I tested it in the store, there were no differences to be heard; the reason I didn't buy one then. So this purchase was to enable me to test the pedal out with my gear at home to maybe discover that difference but again, I hear no differences between the Malaysian & the Taiwanese. So, there.

4 comments:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

few years back when Boss pedals production shifted to Malaysia, the prices increased drastically

Naizal said...

I bought a new DS-1 (Made in Malaysia) from Swee Lee. Played it and noticed a slight drop in volume when activated. Surfed the internet and realised that it was a common issue for the DS-1. Saw the "diode mod" to increase the volume where you have to clip the leg of one of the resistor/diode. Tried to do it but found out that the Malaysian ones only had the small resistors/diodes 😆. Sold it and bought a 2nd hand DS-1 (made in Taiwan) and now all is good.

subversion.sg said...

I think I tested mine at bedroom level volume so didn't notice this. I asked pedal / circuit experts & they told me what you shared above - if a certain length is not observed, hard clipping will result in a drop in volume.

Naizal said...

I remembered for MIT DS-1, we had to de-solder one of the legs of D4/D5.

MIT DS-1 still uses the traditional PCB circuits. MiM DS-1 uses the new smaller ones with little resistors which are impossible to de-solder.

I'm learning new things everyday.

http://alchemy-audio.com/store/p126/Modify_your_Boss_DS-1_Distortion_%28Synth_Fuzz%29%21_Mod_service_Only_%28No_Pedal%29%21_.html

Btw love your blogs. Continue the excellent work!