Monday, June 5, 2023

Dare to be different


I came across this while reading a Satch interview recently. He dared to embrace something different. More importantly, he did this for himself. 

I noticed that players here tend to go with what's hype. They wanna feel safe & keep the company of like-minded people. Music is a creative platform & choice embrace should be it. Don't just go with the flow, know why you are going with it. If it doesn't serve you, then move on. Embrace something else. There are choices out there, it's not like you have only one guitar brand, one amp brand, one string brand... you get the drift.

The counter argument here would be - they don't have what I want so I have no choice. This is true as some brands deal directly, dealer-free & we just don't have the means to acquire it, especially the younger players out there who are just starting out, without credit cards. Along the way, as your purchasing power changes, you should exercise your choices. Nevermind if those popular brands work for others, ask yourself if those work for you. Coming back to the creative realm - it's about the artist. 

I just find this quote inspiring. Satch had a particular liking to the Radius model which was discontinued & Ibanez kept this one particular model going which became the current JS model. People around me are either Fender or Gibson players & I made it a point to try those instrument just to find out why they don't really work for me. However, I keep it open on creative grounds; on days when I need a good single coil tone & I know none of my Ibanez could pull it off, I would gladly reach out for the Strat. But coming back to my Ibanez should not be an issue. 😎

No comments: