Saturday, May 26, 2012

Desolate riposte (3)

The explicit target for this Charvel DX1ST is rather obvious; the fleet-fingered enthusiasts who have so much to say in a very short, given time :-) The shredability credits aside, the test model I played was superb in terms of construction, fit & finish. I see the major concern here would be the neck-body heel; it's not a smooth transition. The body finish sports a stained & glossed overcoat, giving it a bumpy feel once it meets the satin-finished neck. The treatment could be better on some models I saw in-store but the good City Music people would arrange for a fresh, out-of-the-box model for you upon purchase, so no worries.

I'm not a big fan of EMGs but I can live with them in this guitar; not a total aversion on my part (I still love my EMGs in my ESP Eclipse). Coming back to the neck; if you think the Wizard III in the current standard Ibanez guitars aren't too inviting for you, the thinner profile here would be a good enticement. I love the fusion of this profile with the compound radius & that wider-than-Fender feel; it's a robust combo, would withstand any heavy metal treatment... & beyond. Just a reminder that it's on promo pricing: $837.25

No comments: