Saturday, December 20, 2014

Flexing

I currently own a Spectraflex cable which is more than 5 years old. Some things just speak of quality & they last. It's no reason to be buying another but I did- a braided Original. I have simple criteria when choosing cables:
  1. Low noise/ noiseless- the utmost consideration. I should be enjoying my guitar tones while playing, not put up with humming or hissing cables. If a cable fails this criterion, regardless of the brand name or boutique plugs they sport, it's not worth my money. The cables should also not receive radio signals while you're at it. It's a sheer indicator of poor insulation.
  2. Durable- it's pointless to be spending good money just on tone only for the cable to die a few days later. Cables of yesterday tend to be short-lived by their lack of durability. How do I know this? I've stepped on cables countless times & those sub-standard ones would crackle for a simple reason; their innards were squashed & they couldn't carry the signals through. Also, I've stepped on plugs quite often & the flimsy ones would have the connection squashed as well & that's a sure sign of death to come. So two things here- durable plugs as well as final coating (regardless of the material).
  3. Frequency response- this is a little sticky but the standard here is of clarity & non-inclination. Meaning- the cable shouldn't influence your signal frequencies, it is a neutral implement which lets your guitar & amp do their job. However, there are cables out there that give you more high end or add to your bass frequencies. This isn't an anomaly, they were actually manufactured as such to suit personal needs.
Spectraflex is my first real experience with a quality cable. I was enduring cheap cables before that & it's not doing me good; they affected enjoyment. Subsequently, I tried many others but I have the following brand names to recommend if you are in the market for a deserving cable to supplement your tone quest (no order of merit):
  • Evidence
  • Spectraflex
  • Free the tone
  • Canare
  • Lava
  • Monster
  • Mogami
  • Planet Waves (American Stage series)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

where can i get those? been wanting a set of spectraflexes for a while :)

subversion.sg said...

@ Davis, bro. The fastest selling cable there :-)