Saturday, June 27, 2015

Mini rant

It had been an exciting couple of days or so when it comes to bass. I've been laying low (no pun intended) when it comes to it lately for the lack of inspiration. My current line-up of basses are one-dimensional; short scale models which suit my needs more than anything else. The Bacchus WJB mini has everything to do with re-igniting my bass indulgence.

Many of us continue to chase shadows when it comes to gear-hunting & the brand name, above all else, always get the better of us. I've been there, I know the elation of buying that elite name on the headstock only to bring it home & discover it's all about the name, everything else had been compromised. However, it's not wrong for us to tread this path. We always cite some brand names as a standard for quality (it happens for other products as well, not just musical instruments). The issue here is having the courage to say no to something that doesn't work for us, doesn't cater to our needs & does not grow us in terms of our music. If we are only more practical in this sense, it would save us the agony of picking that one dud which we perceived to be a gem at the store. The WJB mini is the most suitable tool for me in this light because it addresses my struggle with bigger, full-sized basses.

What if people go round telling you, hey man, you settled down for a second fiddle. Then it's second fiddle for them, not for you. It's important you asses your needs & intentions before investing in anything for that matter because it's all about you. At the end of it all, you are the one who has to deal with ownership, not other people. They get on with theirs, so you should do like-wise. There is a hint of bigotry here because people out there don't get put down if they drive a Mini Cooper, yes?

So that pretty much wrapped up my later half of the week- bass indulgence. I'd say I picked up much more bass ideas & technicalities with the WJB mini than I did with other basses so that must be a good thing. Time to scout for a deserving bass amp.

No comments: