Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Marauding midweek


Had been playing my Marauder for the last few days or so. Since I had been spending time with some offset Fenders, why not this one? Come to think of it, this guitar is my least problematic Fender I own & every mod done on it was a value-added move.


The pickups are GFSs: Power Rails (B) & JM90 Vintage Overwound. You might read elsewhere in cyberspace, a good amount of thrashing by skeptics who deemed GFS stuff as over-celebrated cheapos. This, together with Tesla & Artec, always get the basement treatment from people who qualify themselves as tone-meisters of sorts. I value tone over any brand name & had always, time & again, stick to what works (for me). GFS website- one of the more reliable & safe references for online purchases but sometimes, it takes a little too long to get here. 


The rounded string retainers here are definitely replacement pieces. They don't snag strings as much & look good so that's a plus.


And these are Tusq (by Grpah Tech) saddles; self-lubricating & don't sport those tall adjustment screws that kill the picking hand. White to match the pick guard. 

When I got the Marauder about 5 years ago, Swee Lee was still doing their 50% end-of-year sale event. I remember being there a little late & seeing the good stuff all snapped up, was on the verge of leaving when I saw this one with some Squiers & Epiphones next to the bag deposit counter. It was a high risk purchase because during sale time, there's a strict no trying policy so I relied on its acoustic/ unplugged tone more than anything else. It was also a good decision partly because I purchased a Jazzmaster from the same Modern Player series with no issues so the quality inference was there. 

Wishing everyone a great midweek. 😎

No comments: