Thursday, September 22, 2022

MOMM (26)


Tulus: Cold Cuts Collection
This is a 2-disc compilation release. Disc 1 contain selected songs from the band's initial two releases, I actually have those albums & do not need this. Disc 2 has demos, pre-produced & cover songs; this is the disc that I was after when I bought this package. Tulus sounds more menacing in their unpolished version. I have a feeling some of these are also live renditions. Interestingly, there are two cover songs; one by Obituary & the other by David Bowie. I'm always a fan of how metal bands re-interpret non-metal songs & make it their own. It has to be tasteful, otherwise, it's just attracting attention.

Depeche Mode: Violator
1990 is that turn in the music timeline when grunge took over & everything musical was secondary, the image & anti-guitar attitude was everything. Being in a pop, non-guitar inclined setting meant Depeche Mode held their own & Violator proved to be one of their best post-80s effort. World in My Eyes, Policy of Truth, Personal Jesus & Enjoy the Silence are definitive DM songs that continue to inspire even today. This release has an immense relevance & staying power.

No comments: