Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Review quickie: DiMarzio Norton


The DiMarzio Norton is an Alnico 5 humbucker with a strong midrange response. It's meant to be a bridge humbucker with a high output performance. The one you see above is the special order double cream finish which was sold to me for a good price because it's an F-Spaced version; the owner wanted a regular spaced model. It was still sealed in the box when I took over possession.

Likes
  • clarity with distortion
  • smooth overall performance at high volume settings
  • relatively good clean tones
Dislike
  • nasal midrange at high gain settings
Overall rating: 80%

I'm not really a fan of DiMarzios (if you've been following this blog diligently) but I make exceptions for models which cater to my needs. The Norton here was spec'd out for a pushed midrange performance which is absolutely my thing with regards to the music I play.  So this humbucker was adept to all harsh settings common in the black metal realm but the midrange gets nasal at high gain settings (even in less distorted situations). A check over at the amp's EQ section is a must. The good thing about DiMarzios - they still maintain the smooth, polished overall tones with excessive processing. If you wish for clarity (especially the solo-inclined geeks) at high gain, the Norton is the way to go, regardless of the music genre.

Thanks: Bothers Kai Jie / Jordan Thiam for your kind contributions. One more time - I'm very grateful to all who had made my December a little more bearable. If you wish to join the cause - for which I'm grateful for - please refer to the QR code on the left shoulder of this page. Thanks in advance!

No comments: