Saturday, August 17, 2019

Fire in the house (2)



One of the reasons why I'm agreeable with this year's Firebird Tribute - the headstock. Last year's Studio model featured a non-reverse design which looked clumsy against the reversed body. This year, it's back to the reversed format but the only gripe I have here is the fact that finger spaces between tuners are very limited. I have to use my fingertips while tuning as opposed to grabbing a button fully to avoid hitting against the neighbouring buttons. However, I don't fancy the through-headstock Steinberger tuners because if you lay the instrument down on the ground/ table, the headstock would be resting on the tuners; potential damage right there.


The Juszkiewicz-era GIbsons were equipped with a set of 9 - 46 at the factory which quickly made way for a set of 10s once it reached my place. A trusty set of D'Addarios, what else.

This guitar played poorly at the store. The neck was bowed out of the box & the action didn't help either. The toggle selector's mounting ring was also loose. Addressing these anomalies together with a set of preferred strings transformed it into a great player. Bottom line - never dismiss the importance of minor details in making things work especially for musical instruments.


I hope the upper tier Firebirds do not feature such careless trimmings. The entire pickguard was well-cut except for this part here. It reflects work attitude & commitment. The Gibson name has a reputation to uphold, employees would do well to understand that their oversight would contribute to the goodwill's undoing. I'm nit-picking, really. I definitely like this guitar.

No comments: