Wednesday, August 3, 2022

SD vs D


Same guitar series but not exactly the same model & there's a different pickup combo as well. This is what I resort to on days when I'm bored; indulge in variations. The left guitar (SEW761) sports a trio of DiMarzios, it's counterpart (S771) has Seymour Duncans. I engaged both guitar's bridge pickups only for this session & it's not pitting one against the other; it's never this approach when tone variation is concerned. So it's DiMarzio's Tone Zone at one end & Seymour Duncan's Perpetual Burn at the other. Let's take a look at the EQ charts for both pickups.


This is how the Tone Zone 'sounds' like; it's a bass saturated pickup & it makes itself heard that way. I dislike this pickup since the start & that was way back in 1991. Paul Gilbert was pictured with it in one of those DiMarzio magazine ads & I must say I fell for it. There were no You Tube back then to hear a sample at the very least before making purchase decision. This Tone Zone went into several other guitars along the way & those were bitter episodes. I tried my very best to give this pickup a chance but it's one detestable tone episode after another until I bought this SEW761; the Tone Zone somehow sounds good here. It's less fuzzy & likeable.


The Perpetual Burn, on the other hand, is virtually the complete opposite; it's a trebly pickup but a little scooped sounding. The nature of my music is a reliance on midrange / treble to supplement distortion clarity. The PB does just this but this pickup sounds excessively bright. So for those of us with less dedication to EQ, this one requires some tweaking attention for sure; not for the hasty, definitely. 

It's myopic to embrace a certain brand name at the exclusion of others & I learned this through experience. While I'm firmly in the Seymour Duncan camp, some DiMarzios are really likeable & it's a matter of time I find out what these are. In the mean time, I ran out of guitars to accommodate this adventure & that's not abut to change Lately, I've been having more DiMarzio episodes & it's largely due to the fact that I've about virtually tried whatever Seymour Duncans available out there. OK, the passive ones, at least. 

No comments: