Sunday, April 9, 2023

Review quickie: MXR Distortion +


Dunlop's MXR pedals are some of the most enduring effects unit out there. The Distortion + here is definitely one of them. Of course, this is the revised edition, the original being the script version, featuring no indicator LED which is a pain when you need to monitor power. 

Likes
  • simple to use
  • effective
  • well-built
  • runs well on battery
Dislikes
  • lacks EQ control
This is not my first episode with the D+ (CLICK). It's a very utilitarian pedal, effective in fulfilling fundamental objectives, very similar to what the BOSS DS-1 & Ibanez Tube Screamer are in context. I sold my first D+ away after thinking intense distortion units (Metal Zone et al) are the way to go. However, if you are already happy with a your amp's dirty tones & wish for some mindful reinforcements, this is the pedal to get. On that note, the D+ was used to boost my already driven amp & that's the perspective of this appraisal. The D+, I must say, is a good match for the DS-1, but it lacks any form of EQ control. However, do note that the OUTPUT control adds to bass & the DISTORTION adds treble to your signals. I didn't realize this with my initial bouts with the pedal due to the preoccupation of making things sound heavy. It gets a firm recommendation from me but it will loose out on price appeal against the DS-1. 

Overall rating: 85%

Dunlop MXR Distortion +
  • Availability: Davis GMC / Swee Lee / Ranking Sports (please check out the respective dealer's websites for prices)

No comments: