I am documenting this appraisal from a guitar player's perspective because I am a guitar player & this is a guitar blog after all. I purchased this ukulele for a simple reason - it features a guitar tuning (top 4 strings of the guitar: E / B / G / D) therefore I need not re-think my playing while handling one.
LIKES
- solid build
- smooth tuners
- ergonomic body edge design
- truss rod included
- warm tones
DISLIKES
- some evidence of patchy fretboard stains
- dark inlays against a dark fretboard
The thing about baritone ukulele is that, the size is almost that of a travel guitar so handling one is a familiar affair when you are a guitar player first & foremost. KALA is indeed one of the leading ukulele brands & the quality on show here is above expectations. I'm just a wee bit annoyed by the patchy stains on the fretboard which are more visible from a playing perspective. Also, I hope the manufacturer re-thinks the application of inlays which are too close, colour-wise, to the fretboard hue. The tones coming from this one are warm & favours the fingerpickers more so than the strummers; thanks to the all solid mahogany body for the most part. I particularly like the rounded body edges which make playing very pleasant compounded by the satin finish so that sticky feeling when your sweating arms & hands are in contact with the instrument is a highly unlikely affair.
Also, coming from the guitar camp, I wish the frets are a little beefier to supplement quick single note runs during solos but then again, this is a ukulele to begin with, extended solos belong to the electric guitar so quit whining.
Special mention goes to the good people at Ukulele Movement for the very non-intrusive shopping experience.
Final rating: 89%
KALA Wave Series Baritone all solid (mahogany) ukulele
- List: $479
- Availability: Ukulele Movement
- Bag included
Pics: KALA
No comments:
Post a Comment