Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Air tech


I've not touched this one for a while so it got a re-string last night & some playing time. I got this during one of Yamaha's sale event where I could actually be there early before everything got snapped up. This was the last piece in store & it's dinged at the bass side of the fretboard edge. I like everything about this guitar less the pickup selector switch which is a rotary knob there. You need at least two fingers to turn it & gets very challenging when you are holding a pick at the same time. Also, I've stopped using a battery for this guitar as all it does is power the pickup selector light which I can do without. 

This is a super light guitar due to the layered body construction that houses air, mostly. AIR here refers to Yamaha's patented Alternative Internal Resonance. Supposedly, it lets the body vibrate via metal tubes that are fixed under the bridge. I'm trying to reconcile the fact that body resonance is an awesome acoustic feature against the pickups' inability to pick this up (pun intended). Whatever design engineering is involved here, the RGX A2 has a good semi-acoustic voicing that sounds more solid than the average semi. 


I'm also glad to have TESLA pickups in there instead of the default pickups as these are higher output units, more responsive to distortion. Seriously, I wish Yamaha would adopt this design tech into their Pacifica models.

No comments: