Monday, October 23, 2023

MOMM (46)


Today's MOMM episode is a throwback edition.

The Human League: Essential
You won't know these people unless you grew up listening to '80s music on the radio. The trio's more well-known tunes back in the day were mainly Don't You Want Me & Human. I only knew Human as this was one of the MTV hits which I really enjoyed back then. Essential is a 3-CD package with strange, B-Sides that didn't quite possess that flair to out-80s Depeche Mode & Erasure, among others. I enjoy re-discovering such lesser known tracks these days as I see it as an effort to re-discover my past & acknowledge the one that got away, outstanding or otherwise. Those Ah Bengs with curtain like bangs that covered half their faces might have gotten inspiration from Philip Oakey; I kid you not.

Rollins Band: The End of Silence
I only looked up to Henry Rollins after he parted ways with Black Flag. His commitments with BF were largely punk-ish which didn't click with me. Rollins has this emphasis on philosophy & self-belief which were manifested post-BF. His brand of music also has lesser emphasis on speed but remain intense & angst-ridden. The End of Silence is my personal favourite as the overall music is less desperate; lyrics avoided that layperson appeal in understanding depression, unhappiness & everything in between. Used to have this on cassette tape & it was virtually played to death; tape got crumpled at the edges along the way & that messed up the sound. I didn't bother replacing till I came across this pre-loved CD recently.

No comments: