Thursday, March 22, 2012

Flashback 90s

We had a psych session last week & was instructed to bring an item which had the most impact on our adolescent lives; I brought my mint condition 1990 issue of Guitar World magazine featuring SRV on the cover. So the doctor went round & gave feedback on his findings- apparently, teenagers are impressionable people (no surprises there, I've known this even without an official diagnosis *duh*) who are attracted to morbid issues in life. It becomes dangerous if they draw too close to death because it would manifest in suicidal tendencies. Fortunately, that wasn't the case for me...

I was attracted to this mag because it did a cover story of the recently departed (back then) Stevie Ray. I kept hearing people saying 'Eric Clapton' when it comes to the blues but after listening to ol' Slow Hand, I'm not into his style/ music. Naturally, SRV had that technicality in him which didn't compromise his music- that's my kinda player. 

Unlike my peers, I chose to stay home & read this mag from cover to cover on weekends while they were too busy gyrating their crotches & flirting at tea dances. RIP Stevie Ray Vaughan.

5 comments:

YusTech said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
YusTech said...

One thing I enjoyed and would like to do many many time was flipping through friends late 80's and 90' guitar magazine..ahh...those were the days..

subversion.sg said...

Agree, bro... I kinda regretted disposing some issues...

Godsmen said...

Not only that, srv had the technicality of style of playing the blues which nobody really had, (or managed to copied).

He had a style of playing of its own and only him so to say.

It's a pity.....

subversion.sg said...

yes, you can hear it's him- unmistakable.