Thursday, January 1, 2015

PRS S2: Mira Semi-hollow

I'm using this first day of the year to update what I had been keeping in view on the final few days of 2014, starting off with this one; it's a PRS S2 Mira semi-hollow guitar.

It was given a full appraisal here if you missed it: CLICK As you can see, I've opted for the dot inlays.

I'm actually very pleased with the unconvincing semi-hollow tones coming from this guitar- I MEAN IT, really. It's all about the construction which isn't a 335 philosophy. We thank manufacturers like PRS who do not make it an obligation to adhere to the industry's expectations or norms. The tone in question is blissfully solid-sounding as opposed to manifesting hollow acoustics through & through. To be fair to PRS, the warm, hollow resonance is present albeit in small servings but it's good to hear the difference. I personally find Gibson's ES-335 a little muffled-sounding when it comes to distortion & that's the reaoson why I bought this Mira; it has more clarity when it comes to dirty tones. The instrument is also light, well, the current PRS SE 245 is believably twice the weight of this guitar so it's friendly in this consideration.

The default pickups are standard S2 humbuckers but these are the uncovered version. They possess more clarity but not as classic sounding as their covered counterparts, especially in the neck position. I have plans to replace them soon (I've already acquired the replacements) but in the mean time, they are some of the more gratifying default pickups I've ever come across especially for driven tones.

One more thing before signing off- the workmanship of this instrument is faultless. Definitely worth every cent of the asking price.

No comments: