Wednesday, July 1, 2015

The other yellow fellow

At the close of last year, this happened- I grabbed the last yellow Ibanez RG550 (Genesis) that was in store. Yes, it was a display piece, I'm usually not a fan of display pieces but this one went home with me. The thing about display pieces is, they are over-molested pieces of equipment which are not quite worth the asking price. This Ibanez was no exception. When I paid for it, the strings were beyond rusty, string saddles showed signs of corrosion & majority of the scratch plate screws were oxidized. Why did I even bother to pay for it? The Genesis models were very close re-pros of the original RG models which featured the super slim Super Wizard neck. This RG550 captured that spirit of super shredding very well. It's like that neck never ceased production in the first place. The rest of the specs were spot on less a labeling detail of the Edge bridge. Being me, I'm never a fan of default pickups so the ones in this guitar were laid to rest, there are now Seymour Duncans in there. Also, the Genesis models were limited edition entities & they were too tempting to pass.

PS: We are now in the other half of 2015. Time seems to zip by (again)...

2 comments:

eddie said...

nice yellow...I noticed its not so fluoroscent as RG 350 and RG2xxV...is this true?

subversion.sg said...

It is comparable, that's some sunlight there getting in the way...