Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Edwards: E-PO-100D

Recently, I acquired this Edwards Potbelly for a steal; 50% of its listed price for an obvious reason- it's losing its appeal as a display piece. It was at the display window for the longest time in the store before being sidelined with that 50% off price tag. There was absolutely nothing wrong with this instrument save for the fact that the metal parts were tarnished over time. I would usually steer clear of guitars trying to manifest a Les Paul vibe because most of the time, the manufacturers tried too hard to re-interpret an established identity with a lacklustre outcome. I've played this one in the store once so it's nothing new to me. The pickups there:
  • Neck: Seymour Duncan '59
  • Bridge: Seymour Duncan '59
Seymour Duncan's '59 humbucker has a limited appeal for high gain dweebs like me because they incline towards the vintage character more than anything else but the ones here dished out a good serving of aggression with the right amp. I had intentions to swap them out after hearing them at the store but the oversight here is that I was dismissive even before trying it out with my set up. The '59 might be a drab affair in guitars sporting modern, locking bridges but in a traditional take such as this Potbelly, both pickups are able to accentuate the set-neck, sustain laden tones to good effect. As such, I'm keeping them in tact. This E-PO-100 is one of those rare player that sounds great in both clean & driven performances so I guess I've landed myself an incredible deal. By chance.

No comments: