Tuesday, January 12, 2016

11s


No, I'm not going back to Ernie Ball. I need this set to get things going because it features a .048 for the low E string. Other brand names out there offer a .049 & this get choked at the nut slot every time & I do not wish to file any slots in the mean time simply because there is a suitable gauge out there to address the situation.


The guitar that received this string set was my Ibanez RGD321. I can't play a set of .010s let alone this set of .011 but the plan was to detune the instrument to C# to reduce the tension. I have to say that things turned out well, the C# tuning got me that .009 feel but it's rather obvious that the strings there are much thicker; it's an illusion of feel. I decided to be adventurous with the RGD321 in terms of tuning because I know the extended scale length (26.5") can accommodate the thicker string gauges especially at detuned settings. I have plans for this guitar, I'm setting it up (permanently, I think) for heavy tunes. At the end of this test-pisode, the Duncans in there did well to capture the lower, deeper tones without mushing out. 

2 comments:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

once detuned my goldtop to C# with 10-52, sounds awesome with DP100

subversion.sg said...

The P-Rails is taking the detune well too. Surprising.