Sunday, January 3, 2016

DIO


I'm currently in a Dio fix. Which metal vocalist out there possesses a formidable vocal range, relentless intensity & 100% commitment on record & live performances? I have to give it to Dio but sadly, the man took his vocal credentials with him upon his passing half a decade ago. I was listening to Black Sabbath in the bus & was thinking Osbourne's vocals were over-hyped. It was unique but to me it was blown out of proportions in terms of greatness. So the search for other Black Sabbath vocalists took effect & Dio was easily on top of the list (Tony Martin was a close second). I find this very inspiring; Dio had no vocal lessons. He grew up on a healthy serving of the opera; this was his so called institution of vocal control- carefully listening to how the range was manipulated. Add to this his trumpet-playing days which taught him vocal projection. Awesome!

No comments: