Friday, February 15, 2019

Thicker


It's good to know the mail order's in when you reach home. Nothing special here, just a bunch of strings. It's a significant purchase for me because these are the gauges I've never tried before since I started playing. Two reasons: 1) I'm not a fan of thicker strings by any means unless the instrument was conceived to be equipped with such strings to begin with which is the case in the mean time 2) These gauges are not available at the stores hence the reason I've not been playing them.

The D'Addario 11 - 49 sets will replace my 11 - 48 sets in my Ibanez RGDs. Yes, it's only that slight change in the thicker E string, I could have bought just that one string but no stores here stock 049s in their inventory. The 10.5s will be an experiment with my Jaguars. I'm currently using 10s in them & felt that a wee bit more tightness might do the trick in terms of feel. Friends are urging me to move on up to 11s since I'm currently using that set in some guitars anyway but those guitars do not sport standard tunings (I tune my RGD to C#). Since GHS offers such a gauge set, I'm just gonna try for variety's sake. 

1 comment:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

my preferences:
11-49/10-52 (Eb/drop-C#) on 24.75" scale
9-46/9.5-44 (standard) or 10-46 (Eb) on 25.5" scale

but mostly 10-46 would be a universal gauge for me :)