Saturday, March 2, 2019

No return


Paul Gilbert recently returned to thin picks. Sub-1mm to be precise. The reason- for a more authentic feel. I had been with 3mm picks (or thicker) so in view of this philosophy, I was game to try.

To adverse effects. I simply couldn't return to anything thinner than 2mm because it just feels 'wrong' in so many ways pertaining to my playing style. Psychologically, I need a thicker feel to exert less picking pressure. If it's too thin, my brain tells my to grip harder because the force of strings during play might throw the pick out of control.

I somehow could make do with 1.5mm as seen above but the pick material matters. But after a few minutes of play, that 'wrong' feeling would kick in once more. Moral of the story- others' playing philosophy might just not be yours. 

2 comments:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

most of the time I use 1-2 mm Jazz III, or up to 3 mm with Big Stubby
but 0.73-0.88 mm still ok with me

subversion.sg said...

I just can't stand it when picks bend/ flex when in use.