Friday, May 15, 2020

MOMM (3)

Something new & old this time round.

Tulus: Old, Old Death
They are still around & at it. It's the same lineup as Olm Og Bitter but the production this time round is very clean cut & dare I say, clear. What I like & respect about the band from the start (till now) is the ability to diversify the instruments during dedicated moments. The bass is still that adventurous element with much presence & no obligations to double the guitar - that's what got me into the band. This album did not sit too well with some reviewers namely for its predictability but in my opinion, the essence of raw black metal is still here & marked. 

Morbid Angel: Illud Divinum Insanus
I have all Morbid Angel albums in my phone less this one. I revisited it today in the hope of liking it for a peculiar appeal but it's a difficult affair. This is supposed to be a come-back release of sort but failed in many ways. The key displeasure here is that odd integration of samples & absence of real drums in some songs. Listeners, especially cult followers, are confused trying to figure out what this album was trying to put forth. The Morbid Angel element is quite present, leaving many to believe that it's a get by offering to welcome David VIncent back into the fold. I didn't bother much & it won't make its way into my phone's playlist any time soon.

No comments: