Sunday, February 1, 2009

String tree

One of the causes of tuning instability is the string retainer/ string tree/ string guide over at the headstock. This hardware is installed in this part of the instrument namely because the headstock is not an angled make ala Fender. Traditional string trees are that of the 'M' type, the one you see undone in the pic above. This design is rather crude & causes snags upon tuning. I've changed my default Smash's string tree to that of the circular/ roller type to reduce friction hence making tuning more responsive.

Q: Is this the ultimate cure for tuning-related problems?
A: No. This contraption is a mere enhancement. If your guitar's nut isn't cut/ slotted well, that should be addressed first.

Q: Can I install this in my guitar?
A: Of course you can but bring along your default string tree to the stores to match it with a replacement of the same width.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sub,

Where can I purchase the roller-type string-trees?

Do you've any spares that I can buy off you?

subversion.sg said...

hi bro- you can get them from Davis/ Zen Guitar Works, i got mine from both dealers :-)

also, Davis has the gold version if this is to your fancy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, will check it out when I've the time. How much did they set you back?

And what brand are they? I don't want to get duped into getting something inferior. (:

subversion.sg said...

bro- no brands in particular, loose units, should be $6+/-

Anonymous said...

Do those string trees actually "roll", or are they just shaped differently?

subversion.sg said...

there are 2 versions in the market, one with the rolling mechanism, the other just plain rounded parts to prevent tuning snags.

Anonymous said...

i have them stock on my yamaha pacificas, they(the taiwanese-made ones) put fender to shame, in my humble opinion