Saturday, January 31, 2009

Not 9s in there?

I'm basically too attached to my Ibanez RGA32 for the last few days or so (ok, so I did play my Fenders & ESP as well...) but felt something was amiss while playing it; I made too many fundamental mistakes & felt tired rather quickly (no, Red Bull didn't help). So I decided to re-string it today (GHS Boomers rules!) & discovered the source of my clumsiness & lethargy- the default strings were not a set of .009...

Mike @ Standard Value confirmed my suspicion as the RG321 guitars in his store are equipped with .010s from the factory. So there we have it, the Indonesian models were not strung with .009s...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi sub , i bought a black se singlecut with trem today.. seems like there is pretty much fret buzz at 2nd string and between 5th to 12 fret.. and the tone is so thin when i played at frets near the pickups.. sld i bring back to Davis to solve or bring it to other shop?

subversion.sg said...

bro- did you test the guitar before buying?

Anonymous said...

Hmm...I wonder what a set of 12s would feel like, downtuned to D?

subversion.sg said...

if you've ventured into that territory, do share it here... :-)

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm on the way there. Got the Ibanez ART for that purpose. With slap on set of 12s on the next string change. Still messing around with the setup and getting used to the active pickups. I seem to be getting excessive harmonics on the unwound strings, especially the high E, even after adjust the height of the pickups. Is that normal for actives?

Anonymous said...

Please excuse the typo errors in the above paragraph. Had a beer too many...

subversion.sg said...

beer- he he...

*active pickups- the excess harmonics may also be due to the amount of drive/ distortion you are employing. you can have more authority in this aspect by lowering guitar volume, which many of us overlook.

*thicker-gauged strings- in addition to the action/ neck adjustment, the nut height/ slots are also overlooked in this aspect, pleae look into this :-)

Anonymous said...

Well, the harmonic notes are present even when the guitar is not plugged in. When plugged in(straight to a mixer or clean amp), the effect is more pronounced on the bridge pickup.

Anyway, I did a recording of it(the link below). Guitar was plugged straight into the instrument input of my audio interface. First riff is played with full volume, the second at half.

http://www8.zippyshare.com/v/21779019/file.html