Sunday, January 11, 2009

Of busking & waiting

We were at Lot1 last evening for dinner & a meet-up with a certain individual to collect payment for (guitar-related) items. The individual concerned gave a simple instruction, '...just be there at 7 (pm)' which I did.

After dinner we waited at the MRT's station control vicinity & after 20min of waiting my spouse headed home because waiting was never her forte. Also, the daughter was running around the crowded station, often bumping into commuters & we had to apologize to these people repeatedly, which was not the favoured thing to do on an evening day off (we have other better emgagements). But I still waited.

A good evening shower later, my spouse sent a text message asking if that person had showed up. I answered the negative. Time check: 7.40pm & the wait continued.

Finally, the meeting took place at 7.50pm & the payment collection was finalized. Having sent a reply to the spouse saying I was on the way home, her reply was, 'Friends who make you wait are not important. You are being too nice'. So the matter arises again this 2009- am I being too nice?

Would you tell someone to be some place at a stipulated time & show up at the terminal moment? Could you send a simple message to the waiting party to update occurrences (considering the existing technology facilitating this practice)? These are simple considerations which help put our ethics in good stead but we overlook them thinking other people don't mind our rotten ways. As for me, I'm not one to pester others for compliance.

While waiting, I managed to talk to the busker pictured above- he plays an Ibanez RG170 at the entrance of LOT1 just before the MRT station itself, operating with another visually impaired companion who is the vocalist. I told him I was gonna take his pic for this blog & he obliged. The song selections were great, I particularly enjoyed some of the Bangles tunes they covered. If you see them there on weekends, do give generously. God bless.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've only seen a busker playing a strat near lot1's entrance before..never an ibanez. Maybe its time to revisit there :D

subversion.sg said...

that chap's there too sometimes, he's playing a strat-type Blade guitar.

Anonymous said...

tat guy plays a orange strat right? i work at henderson so i sumtimes get to see him at tiong bahuru too, by the way i stay at yew tee, so i frequent lot 1 as well

subversion.sg said...

can't recall the exact colour but he's seen busking in the Orchard Rd stretch as well (with a Squier Strat)...