Friday, January 15, 2010

Marshall vs Sound Drive

I am perhaps one of the numbered spectres in guitardom to be paying attention to solidstate amplifiers- the detestable tone generators to the rest of us. I only bothered with the ones that matter tone-wise, in the realms of distortion, of course. I don't quite believe these amps would have any real offerings in terms of cleans, even to sympathizers like me.

Friends ask, between the Marshall (MG100HFX) & Sound Drive (SG612R head), which one is more appealing? I can't offer any differentiated opinions to revere one amp & delineate the other. As far as my ear drums are concerned, these two amps are different drive-wise. The Marshall is distinctly British in this light, very gnarly, protrusive in an appealing way. The Sound Drive has a very appealing lead voicing; it makes my Les Paul very desireable in terms of single note clarity & that's rather miraculous to me.

I was criticized before for wasting precious $ in acquiring sterile sounding amps but let me reiterate the fact that I address tonal appeal regardless of the brand name & nature of the amplifier. Before I heard the Sound Drive in action, it meant nothing to me; a mere get-by Korean unit, a compromise for some unattainable desirebles... but that's not the case, of course. It taught me a lesson- do not be dismissive of the estranged wares out there. Just because it's an obscure item, it doesn't equal to a lemon.

Am I anti-tube then? If you understand the state of my address above, this question won't surface.

2 comments:

Matt Hauer said...

Bottom line is always if it does what you want it to. If it works, it works...

Guitar said...

Hi, I'm the proprietor of www.myguitarspace.com . We're the social network for guitarists. I thought your readers might like to know about a new contest we're having:http://www.myguitarspace.com/contests/guitar-co.... Also, join to promote yourself and your efforts. please feel free to contact me any time: Andy Rice,
email: caandyr@ix.netcom.com