Thursday, March 17, 2011

Dunlop Stubby vs V-pick

So this is the ultimate showdown; Dunlop's Stubby juggernaut to take down the colossal V-Pick... not quite. I believe the respective picks you see here were differentiated in design by the manufacturer to address different needs but from a personal point of view, I believe the respective products give the player a different playing feel which in turn influences the performance standards.

V-pick
It all started not too long ago when Mr. Brendon from BGW Guitars sent over a complementary V-pick knowing I am a fan of tank-grade picks; I can't live playing picks which are less than 1mm thick. Initially, I was dismissive of it as it's just another acrylic alternative; I've been playing the Stubbys for a while & this pick isn't a drastic departure from my current engagements. However, the unique selling point has to be the V-pick's beveled edges which means the strings leave the pick's contact at a faster action- it's not rocket Science this one, a simple innovation by a guitarist (founder Vinni Smith is a guitar enthusiast) for guitarists. The beveling also means, the edges of the picks are thinner than the rest of the grip area so you'd thought that you are holding a thick, unplayable piece of plastic in your hands but the tapered edges are actually doing the job. 

I am currently using the Traditional (as above) & Small Pointed versions which work fine for my needs. My only gripe here would be the colour; sometimes dropping a V-pick on the floor is equivalent to losing it for good. But not to worry, V-picks also come in red & glow-in-the-dark alternatives.

Dunlop Big Stubby
This has been my long-term favourite & it' still is. I favour the 3mm version & have them in my wallet, office drawers, on top of amps, bag pockets; they have become virtually ubiquitous. When Adam Teoh was still working at Swee Lee (Bras Basah showroom), he knew how many I'd purchase in a single transaction- many (I recall buying 30 pieces, that's the most number of Stubbys I ever bought in a single receipt). If we look at the Stubby, we note its curved nature; in Ibanez-speak, the Stubby is the pick version of the S-series body. This design feature is the pick's upper edge, it doesn't need beveled edges to accentuate precision picking. My other liking here is the pick's centre indentation which promotes grip effectively. I use to burn holes in other picks just to get some grip going but it's inherent with the Stubby. 

I wish the Stubby's tip was more pointed when they leave the factory, my current practice is to file the tip further to make it very sharp, I believe this enhances more precision. Well, it works for me.

Conclusion
Conceptually, both picks manifested different means to the same end- precision picking. The different playing comfort is the choice determinant; I like both picks & would toggle between the Stubby & the V-pick so if you see someone switching picks often while trying guitars out in the stores, that'd most probably be me. Be informed that there is at least a $3 difference (no kidding) between these picks.

Where to get them:
  • Stubby: Swee Lee/ Davis GMC
  • V-pick: BGW Guitars

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sub, I tried many picks... and like you, I am stuck on the 3mm Big Stubby. It "feels" right... especially after trying so many...

I haven't tried the V-picks yet but have read about them and seen their related videos via Brendon's BGW Website. Will look to test a few out soon...

Cheers,
LG

subversion.sg said...

bro, the V-pick offers a good alternative to the Stubby but it's a little pricey... :-)

Anonymous said...

haha the money shot. is that extra $3 worth it? or many more dollars compared to the more common dunlop tortex and jazz.

subversion.sg said...

there's a psychological element here because once you benefit from the V-pick, you'd get back to it no matter what.

same goes for our guitars (& other stuff as well); Gibson Les Pauls cost so much more than the japanese copies/ alternatives yet the former's following is very strong despite the extras involved :-)

ampz said...

Max-Grip Jazz III, i like this 1

subversion.sg said...

there should be an acrylic version of the Jazz III but then that'd be blasphemous :-)

NiN said...

Interesting review. And a timely one too as i am currently trying out picks of various thickness and material.

You did mention that your all time favourite is the Dunlop Big Stubby 3mm and you can't play with any pick less than 1mm. May i ask a little bit more about you technique? More lead playing(individual notes) or strumming?

subversion.sg said...

strumming seldom happen for me, maybe if i'm playing acoustic then it'd be a consideration :-)

basically it's mostly riffing & lots of solos. take a look at the stubby in the pick, i've managed to capture its worn tip. this happens to my picks like after 2 hours of playing time; the reason i have many picks in the house. at the rate i'm going, i'll be needing more V-picks & the price of these are rather prohibitive considering hoe fast my picks die. he he...

NiN said...

I used the big stubby sometime back and have experience the same rapid tip wear. But i was using the 1mm version. On the contrary, I stumble and trip with picks that are thicker than 1mm hehe. Especially with horse galloping riffs and tremolo picking. Maybe it's my technique that needs to be refined.

subversion.sg said...

i think it's more to do with your grip comfort...