Monday, March 14, 2011

Big Friendly Screamer

It's been an OK week for me, got a new bass- happy. The Cort X-3 was a reality check or a reminder rather, that lighter guitars aren't bad-sounding. Speaking of which, I had been playing my LP BFG here for the last 2 days, the lightest of all my LPs, coupled with my Ibanez TS9B.

The BFG was repulsive to many traditional LP fans but not with me; I'm one of the estranged players who prefer a satin finished instrument & the lighter (chambered) body ensures much clarity for my needs; not quite the forte of LPs in this consideration. The TS9B sounds appealing with the BFG but I didn't use it as a stand-alone drive source, just a booster for my Marshall's rage. It somehow complemented the guitar's bright character. The value of good tone definitely adds on to one's playability, psychologically or otherwise. I'm not an LP fan but given the right set up, it's a joy to play. But I always frown upon the need to stretch my digits at the upper frets & this hampers fast fretting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pickups combination is practical. Bridge humbuckers for the punch, and neck P90 for the clean. A good Les Paul it is.

subversion.sg said...

the HS pickup combo has always been my preferred 2-pickup configuration.