Friday, April 6, 2012

Boost kick


 I'm still refining my distortion (when I'm utilizing pedals) via the booster route, I'm trying to keep the distortion voicing in tact while giving it some catalyst to sound meaner. I got the Jet City Hi-Gain Boost a few days ago from Davis GMC (List: $95) & the label clearly stated the pedal's intent. As a stand alone pedal, the HGB should not be depended on for a refined distortion sound, it's he wrong one for such an application. It should be stacked with one of your main overdrive/distortion units or your amp's dirty channel for that matter. The HGB isn't one to give polite responses as implied by it's label, some of us would find the gain kick a little too sizzling for slight refinements.

With my BOSS Power Stack, the pedal did better as a pre-distortion boost. Once I changed the order, for the HGB to appear post-distortion, the Power Stack's voicing was drowned by the HGB. Through my Laney Iron Heart, the HGB does well as a pre-preamp function (ie: guitar-pedal-amp) AND through the FX loop. The FX loop option was of course more rewarding, letting the HGB add to the distortion fray post-preamp.

How is this pedal different from any other booster unit out there? It adds to gain in addition to merely a volume boost which doesn't make it a better pedal but a different option depending on your intentions.

No comments: