Sunday, January 26, 2014

Ibanez 2014: Acoustic!

Ibanez introduces a tenor guitar this year (AVD1) & I'm looking forward to check it out. The tenor guitar was first conceived to allow a cross-over for the banjo chaps to double up on guitar. How is it tuned? In fifths (C/G/D/A) but there is no fixed application & I'm gonna employ it in baritone ukelele tuning. The body outline appeals to me as it is not overwhelming like a standard guitar, in fact, it's modeled after a parlour. Coupled with that solid spruce top, it should help me open up some unconventional ideas.

Following the success of 2013's PF58MH, Ibanez has one more for us in terms of a travel-size offering, the PF2MH (from the Performer series). Body & neck are mahogany, fretboard is rosewood but this one has no electronics whatsoever unlike the PF58 but it should offer a similar tone palette. I'm totally happy with the PF58 in terms of warmth, clarity & volume projection despite the size so I have high expectations for this baby. Following this introduction, the PF58 is discontinued for 2014. Glad I bought one :-)


We're still in the Performer range & for those of us who are more at home with standard-sized acoustics (who might venture into the mahogany territory), Ibanez has the PC12MH for you to check out. Not forgetting the bassists among us, PCBE12MH with pre-amp & on-board tuner- how's that?

No comments: