Thursday, October 23, 2014

Referential, not preferential


My holiday adventure. Nothing new, really, just revisiting stuff that I'm not inclined to but do own for the sake of reference. I'm referring to EMG pickups as well as signature products.

I'm not an EMG fan (or fan of active pickups per se) but I make it a point to own EMGs. Despite the non-preference, I believe there is an application for EMG somewhere along the way. It's the reason why I crave to hear EMG at times & when that happens, whatever EMG tone I hear would be more of an acceptance than rejection. However, it's not something I would return to subsequently, it seems that the EMG tone is only a reference (for me).

This is the same mindset when I deal with signature products. I'm quite averse to signature guitars but not quite amps & pickups. The reason you see the EVH 5150III in this post. Despite being a signature amp, I am able to concoct my own voicing from it & it delivers what I want to hear & I don't accede to what it has in store for me to begin with- this is the wrong reason for buying stuff; you actually want to sound like the flavour of the moment. That's a big NO for me.

No comments: