Thursday, May 21, 2015

Plucked

I've just stopped playing for the day. For the night. For the moment. Whatever. I've just rediscovered the joy of nonsense-free guitar tones; the sound of the acoustic guitar. That elation of knowing the goodness of guitar tones coming from the instrument itself, nothing else should get in the way. Then my guitar moment got amplified.

That about killed the purity of it all, yes? Not quite. Acoustic amplification aims to capture the string & wood resonance in its fundamentals but there's an overlooked issue here- you don't get much true acoustic tones from placing pickups under the bridge saddle. It sounds amazing though, but it's contradictory to the fundamental intention. The best acoustic resonance happens, you guessed it, at the sound hole area. This is the reason why acoustic wizards like Andy McKee, Don Ross & Thomas Leeb, among others, make sure there's a form of pickup or microphone at that vicinity. OK, enough acoustic philosophy.

Every now & then, I would feel abysmal when it comes to guitar technicality. After much practice & invention, I thought my abilities are rather formidable but then the acoustic guys will always be on another level. I am of the opinion that playing with a pick breeds singular perspective. Subconsciously, it's the reason why I listen to those acoustic guys; there's minimal reliance on amplification & they are outstanding plucking those strings without a pick in hand. It opens up perspectives & redefines co-ordination. So that's the reason why I have my acoustic moments; to feel totally pathetic about my abilities then try to refresh some perspectives so as to renew my music.

Seen above: 1) Takamine GX11ME 2) Fender Acoustasonic 15

No comments: