Friday, December 29, 2017

Still Gio-ing


Every now & then, I would make it a point to play this Ibanez Gio. It's one of those inexpensive revelations I did not regret getting. It is every bit an RG as a standard model but not as costly, not as flashy as well. The single pickup offering would have relegated this model to a novelty appeal, compounded by that skeleton fingers inlay. Despite my intention of making this a carefree reference in terms of handling, I had made it a point to give it a mindful handling instead, after that awesome copper re-finish. I've never mistreated any of my instruments & I guess I could't bring myself to do it on this one despite it being a bargain acquisition.


One of the highlights of this guitar is a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom hiding under that black cover. It's shrouded for a simple reason- it's white. That was my valiant $2 effort in making it look flushed with the rest of the instrument's black hardware & I must say I did well 😁

When playing this guitars, only two things matter: 1) Tone 2) Playability. Having a single pickup means it's a make or break moment during play. Since it's a Seymour Duncan in there, a brand name well within my inclination, it's always a make moment. Break moments happened when I employed the 'wrong' pedals or amp to supplement what the pickup has to offer. An inviting playability for such an instrument is critical, in my opinion, because it helps overcome the psychology of playing something very low in the manufacturer's pecking order. If my music sucks along the way, I know it has to be me because my priority criteria in this case, are well in place. 

It's the final weekend of the year, hope everyone's in an upswing to welcome in the new year. 😉

2 comments:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

the heart snatcher...

YusTech said...

I didn't know GIO has this one pickup model. Is it 24 fret too?