Sunday, June 9, 2019

Pure black


To me, these are essential listenings. The initial two Tulus releases are downright no-frilss black metal offerings (Pure Black Energy/ Mysterion). When I first listened to them, I did not quite get the concept of something angry with infused slower bits. These two elements are downright conflicting but after repeated listenings, the slower bits were intentional which is something I could not come to terms with at first. 

I re-purchased these two recently after countless search-query-wait episodes. Pure Black Energy had a missing CD & I had no idea where that disappeared to. It might have a classic case of careless disposal because I did recall throwing away stuff some time ago. Mysterion was a victim of a dysfunctional CD player that scratched the data surface of the disc & rendered it useless thereafter. I think it was in April, these two albums were re-issued by the label & I did a pre-order which was fulfilled within a month- worth the wait.

Both albums possess the raw simplicity that propelled Burzum & Darkthrone into eternal worship. Because it's TULUS, featuring a virtually unknown line up with very little attention-grabbing extra curricular activities to fan fame with, they were largely ignored. I revel in the fact that the bass here is an independent, commanding entity, playing beyond the guitar limelight. In addition to driving the rhythm section, the bass stood out under momentary peaks within the song structure. I must say that I'm not really a fan of the bass doubling up guitar parts exclusively, something we hear in Dark Throne & Emperor, among others. The bass should not be slaved to be a bit-part player in a band context. Stand out bass moments reflect a thinking band & not an outfit bent on delivering a singular intent. Stargazer, Sadus, Mayhem, Atheist- these are the acts I find meaningful because of strong musicianship.  Tulus included.

No comments: