Tuesday, June 11, 2019

New Slinky-s


Folks, Ernie Ball has these new sets for you to consider.

PRIMO Slinky: 9.5/ 12/ 16/ 24/ 34 44
Nothing new here, D'Addario & GHS were among the names offering that in-between gauge. Unlike their counterparts, EB offers a 12 for their B string. Will definitely try this set (my PRS guitars all sport a set of 9.5s) as it's close to what I'm used to.

MEGA Slinky: 10.5/ 13.5/ 17.5/ 28/ 38/ 48
I currently have a set of GHS 10.5s in my Jaguar but the gauges are slightly different: 10.5/ 13.5/ 17/ 26/ 38/ 48. Will also give this set a try since 10.5s are something new for me. I dislike 11s in my Jaguar for standard tuning & reserve that for my extended scale length guitars for drop tuning.

MAMMOTH slinky: 12/ 16/ 24(W)/ 34/ 48/ 62
I have never tried 12s. As mentioned above, I prefer 11s for a slightly longer scale length instrument. For most instruments, a slight re-slotting of the nut is required for string gauges beyond size 50. If you wish to return to your preferred thinner gauge subsequently, bear in mind that the wider slot might cause buzzing. 

Good to know that EB has caught up with the other market players in offering a less familiar but in demand gauges albeit a little late. My beef with EB is that the slinky feel gets done with pretty quickly & strings feel dead thereafter. Also, EB is in my bad books for being unreliable in terms of string freshness; a new pack off the shelf doesn't guarantee a rust-free set.

Pic: EBMM

No comments: