Sunday, June 2, 2019

Fried Jerry


This was a recent release. It's a Jr version of the Jerry Cantrell signature head, 20W of thumping goodness. I've played some Friedmans in person before & my take on them is that they sound like polished Marshalls. That's the primary reason I own none in the mean time. Don't get me wrong, they are very good amps, I just don't want a Marshall-esque tone because I have Marshalls with me.

So the highlight here is that this one, in its dirty glory, sounds the most removed from a Marshall but still retains that Marshall bite we love coming from a cranked up unit. I think this one might be up your alley if, like me, you want a Friedman but not one that reminds you of a Marshall. OK so the Marshall associations are not entirely removed but it's a likeable tone all round- I even like the pushed cleans.

No comments: