Saturday, January 18, 2020

Pia?


They kept this under wraps till NAMM. Looks familiar? It better be, otherwise, the affiliations would be lost & that spells trouble for sales. Vai's JEM lost its monkey grip in favour of that Ying-Yang teardrops. While the JEM's monkey grip facilitates handling, these do not serve a similar purpose. Oh, they call them the petal grip & you won't be the only one who believe petals are supposed to look like, em... petals. 


In case you forget it's not a JEM... Well, if they move the label up a wee bit, there's space to turn this into 'pig'. 


The new DiMarzio pickups for this model are named UtoPIA, featuring a scooped tone with a more pronounced bottom end. 


If you get this version in gold, they did you a favour by having colourful inlays there so life would be a little more exciting for you & your loved ones. 

Folks, I'm not a JEM fan. In fact, I'm not a fan of signature models. They might inject some major excitement for those of us who embrace our heroes like no other. Good for you because such instruments are indeed of the higher tier offerings & they should be above expectations in every way. I respect Vai but this iteration of the JEM doesn't sit well with me because it took a lame turn. I own two signature models in the mean time & rest in the comfort of them being tasteful in every way. I can't seem to come to terms with this Pia model; it reeks desperation & bordering on being pathetic. I shouldn't try too hard in any case - I'm not a fan to begin with. 

No comments: