Friday, July 3, 2020

Special


This is a special one indeed. It was a special order liaised by Davis GMC for me some years ago. The good ESP people were willing to tweak certain features from an existing model to include others from another existing model. It's virtually a hybrid design.


So my request was a simple one; an existing M-Series with a H-S pickup configuration (Seymour Duncan JB/ Classic Stack Plus in this guitar). Since I get to pick my finish of choice, I went with white. Why? Because the preceding models that I acquired before this one were black. This went the opposite way.

The H-S pickup combo was a refreshing change. The ESP people tilted the neck single coil so that all strings are aligned with the pole pieces. Was this a design in any existing ESP model back then? Yes - the Horizon FR 27. Subsequently, Kiko's signature ESP model featured the slanted neck single coil slot as well. That was easy for ESP. 


The white finish was regrettable. All white finish will yellow over time, the parts coming into contact with the hard case interior will yellow faster than other areas (as seen above). It's like that repulsive sweat outline on a white pillow cover so no more white for me. ESP stopped this special order programme a few months after I ordered this one. Bummer. 

No comments: