Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Unworthy


Sometimes, I try my best to not judge a certain product based on a popular belief. I might be too nice at times & continue to give an already beaten reputation another chance. I believe this is that situation. 

There is this very popular string brand (let's call it Brand E) that offers a so called benchmark coating standard in preserving string life. Brand E might be the proverbial reference for those who believe in string coating technology & are not privy to any anomalies. Not me, of course. The coating somehow flakes off over time but that was an encounter of the electric kind. I decided to try the acoustic version & fingerpick all playing moments to eliminate the fact that the pick itself is the root of the issue. As seen above, despite the fingerpicking treatment, the flaking happened & exposed parts rusted pretty quickly. This is definitely my final obligation for Brand E. Good riddance.

5 comments:

cadexn said...

just a quick question tho, i personally uses the same strings and the coating does happen to me every time however I don't find any deterioration with the sound quality. Googled around and found out that this happens to alot of people as well but the string is well alive

subversion.sg said...

Thanks for the perspective. I presented this from my POV more than anything else. I might hear some differences which others might not. I guess I'm the very few who hear dead strings disguised in visual freshness, more so from acoustic tones. The fact that many embrace the perceived freshness of coated sets is the very reason they are still being manufactured. These companies are doing fine, good for them 👍🏾

YusTech said...

Yes sir, the 'E' brand is like this after a while. Hehe

subversion.sg said...

@YusTech - sakit hati, tuan....

YusTech said...

Apakan daya kita hanya pengguna, kualiti jenama 'E' saya perasan sudah turun berbanding seawal yang saya ketahui.Disini ekonomi dan tahan lama lebih bernilai dari prestasi. Almaklumlah matawang kecil dan perkembangan semasa. Hehe