Sunday, September 20, 2020

Hell Edge


I have very low tolerance for pickups that give off what I do not wish to hear. The default SA120 humbuckers have this rather pronounced high end, not too prickly but that frequency response that condemns the guitar into perpetual aversion. I have spare DiMarzios here so these went into the SA120 yesterday:

  • Neck: Humbucker from Hell
  • Bridge: Fusion Edge
The HFH is touted to be a brighter & cleaner (manufacturer's claim) sounding pickup & I hear that in clean mode. It's one of those preferred tones without going the PAF way in warmth & clarity. In driven mode, it fails to deliver the same. Notes are generally woody but to be fair to this one, I've not put it through the lesser drive paces. 

The Fusion Edge was previously default in the SIX6FDFL. I disliked it there as it sounded no better than the shrieky in-house brands. The bottom end response sounded fuzzy with high gain / intense distortion setting & I suspect it might be due to the instrument being light weight. The SA120 is not much heavier than the SIX6 but it made the FE sound a little different. I set my amp to be a little bass-inclined & it proved its worth. As the pickup was conceived to have a pronounced high end frequencies, clarity is no issue.

No comments: