Thursday, May 20, 2021

JaGHS


Spent some time with the Modern Player Jaguar, before & after treatment time. It was a smooth affair at the Cancer Center today so my chemo session ended before 4pm; that's a very rare feat for the nursing team as they usually get overwhelmed by 1pm. That's when everyone's back from lunch & resumes treatment. Anyway, had a GHS set of 10.5s in there. The standard practice for a 24" scale guitar is a set of 11s but this doesn't suit everyone, depending on their handling nature of course. I'm in the light touch camp & the Jaguar here is in standard tuning so the tension is about right for me. I don't like strings that fight back, it induces lethargy & mistakes.


Also, swapped out the default string retainers for the ones you see here. The round surface means strings will not get snagged by sharp edges & snap after repeated travel (during tuning that is). FYI, Fender's Modern Player Series (discontinued) are the only Fender-labelled headstock that are made in China. You might think that it's all about cutting as much corners when it comes to Chinese made instruments & selling them for as much as possible but the MP range of instruments proved otherwise. I've had positive experiences with them - at least the ones I tried in person - & ended up buying them. 😅


The Tesla pickups here are such a blast. They can give full humbucking pickups a run for the money in terms of heavy chugging. I'm just glad I snapped them up while they were still available. These are the VR-P90  to be precise, nothing high output but they have their sweet moments under high gain settings. With that said, I had to lower the bridge P90 quite a bit to prevent wolf tones from chiming in during overdriven moments.

No comments: