Sunday, October 10, 2021

The 2017


When it comes to Les Pauls, the Studio is perhaps as semi-pariah as it gets. The guitar heroes in magazines & videos out there are either strapping on a Standard or a Custom. In guitar stores, if we declare a certain budget consideration to the sales person, he most probably would recommend us an Epiphone rather than the Studio. It's fair to say that the Studio is second fiddle for many pros, a back up guitar in most cases. The only reason why I bothered with the Studio is because it meets my needs without costing more than it should. The Studio you see above is a 2017.

Back in 2017, the Studio was given a slim taper neck carve. I own a Classic that sports a slim taper neck carve as well but this 2017 version of 'slim' is a little flat. That's right, it's a D more than a C & the difference is quite apparent. I have not tried other 2017s which is not a Studio so I might be wrong to conclude that the Studio's slim here is actually an anomaly. That aside, coming back to what I mentioned earlier, this guitar meets my needs & that flat neck element there makes me play 'better'. Actually, it reduces mistakes during play. So the body is not as thick as the Standard but it sounds good overall but I'm quite intolerant when it comes to the neck humbucker's extra wooly tone in OD mode (it's a 490R). As such I use it for cleans mostly. 

Is the Studio worth owning? Anything is worth owning if it serves your needs or you like what it has to offer.

No comments: