Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Cancer

 

Ending the month remembering where I was this time last year - in hospital fighting cancer. I was diagnosed with leukemia. Apparently, this form of leukemia does not require bone-marrow transplant but extensive chemotherapy. That lasted 10 months. 

Along the way, I was overwhelmed by grief & depression fighting a loss of income & treatment side effects. It took me about three months to pay off my treatment bills after going into remission & the figures were substantial. A treatment cycle consisted of 5 days of treatment a week for 6 weeks followed by 2 weeks of rest. I had to go through the mandatory 4 cycle before a final diagnosis.

It's all about the money. If you are currently without a medical insurance, I suggest you sign up for one. Make sure it includes a post-hospitalization coverage. After insurance & MediSave coverage, I still had to fork out cash for my treatment bills. Falling sick is miserable compounded by the fact that you have no income to finance your medical bills. I had 90 days of hospitalization leave, beyond which, I was put on no-pay leave. Nobody asked me if I am able to cope with the treatment bills. Nobody. The assumption here is that people are insured to see them through life's challenges & that the government subsidized medical costs for the people. If that was sufficient, I wouldn't have to sell off gear to keep up. I got low-balled for the stuff I tried to sell off as well despite listing them for a fair price. I remembered a guy who said it's strictly buy-sell, my medical consideration shouldn't be factored in. I was fortunate to have an awesome ex-boss who sponsored my transportation costs to & from the treatment center; I will remember this for life.

Moving on. I had not bought a substantial piece of gear since the cancer happened. Looks like it will stay this way as my life took a further turn at the close of 2021. I will disclose this at a later opportunity. I am happy with my gear inventory now with a few listed for parting. I am also happy my gear indulgences had seen me through the cancer grief. It had taken away substantial attention from my ailment. Come to think of it, I would be worse off without such distractions, leading to possible tragedy.

Thank you. To all those who had supported me throughout my dark cancer days - I appreciate all gestures. I had thought of giving up guitar indulgences while lying down on the hospital bed but guitar & gear inclinations saw me through my personal struggles. 

It had been a good November, one that was spent away from cancer. Cheers, folks. ✌🏽

Pic: Onhealth

9 comments:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

Speedy recoveries bro, insya-Allah

I still remember the day you broke the news to me personally via WA

Hans G said...

Alhamdulillah bro. Insya Allah better days to come...

subversion.sg said...

Hans / Ijau: Thank you for your awesome support 🙏

the insomniac said...

Hi i remember reading your posts and contributions on SOFT since at least 15 years ago. I happened to come across this website and was happy to see a familiar name, since i enjoyed all your posts and your sharing of knowledge. I'm very sorry to hear of your cancer. My best wishes and i pray you will pull through.

- an internet stranger

subversion.sg said...

Thank you, Insomniac Stranger, for your kind support. 👍

Eddy said...

Been following you since soft days as well. Thanks for keeping this blog alive.
Not many in sg keep writing and writes well.
I hope all will be okay for you and thank god we have a deep interest and passion for something.

subversion.sg said...

@Eddy thanks, my friend, for the enduring support, the SOFT days were gold 👍🏾

fuzztremecho said...

stay strong bro - in my prayers always

subversion.sg said...

@fuzztremecho thank you, sir. Need lots of those in the mean time. 🙏🏼