Friday, June 16, 2023

Melody chopper


I love this guitar (& the rest that I own, of course). It's like built to my specs; no frills, all action. However, it came default with a single coil pickup which I respect but do not favour. I am on high gain mode 90% the time & the single coil hum is something I can do without.


Addressing the issue is not just putting in a single coil sized humbucker in there because the pickguard slot accommodates vintage specs so if it's a covered pickup, it won't fit. That's the reason you see the cover of this DiMarzio Chopper removed before it could be fitted into the pickguard. Before that could happen, the exposed part of the pickup was taped up to prevent the penetration of dirt & moisture. Also, it took quite a while to remove the cover as it was sealed with silicon, I believe. If you just yank it off, the fragile base (that green portion you see there) might crack. Use a hair dryer (heat) to dislodge the silicon & pry open the cover slowly.


Then off to Beez's for the necessary surgery & installation.


Re-string & it's good to go. Wishing everyone a good weekend ahead.

No comments: