Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Ibanez: TSA5TVR (review)

This is the new Tube Screamer amp by Ibanez; the TSA5TVR. It's certainly not the first TS amp around but it's definitely the first cool-looking TS incarnation. From this angle, the amp looks like a retro table top TV more than an amp especially with those legs there. But it's serious tone business with a 12AX7 & 6V6GT pairing at the pre-amp & power section respectively. The inclusion of an 8" Jensen is another one to underscore a tone inclination. The other aspects of the amp are highlighted in the control panel seen here:

Everything there is standard affair but that reverb control is an interesting inclusion especially when the driver is an 8" unit. It could cut both ways; Ibanez wants it to manifest some depth since the driver isn't big enough to manifest a convincing 'full' tone. It could also mean that the reverb is the missing link in making amps of this make more menacing in terms of appeal. 

In use, the TSA5TVR has some sweet cleans coming from an 8"-er. I had the opportunity to plug in a P-90 equipped guitar into it & it sounded adorable. Ironically, the humbucker is the least appealing in this clean mode as the driver size somehow failed to augment the pickup's reduced presence. In this aspect, I'd say if you have tried Laney's CUB 8 amp, this TS is one up for sure.

In drive mode, well, after plugging in 3 guitars, I'm of the opinion that the TSA5TVR is a maligned unit when it comes to higher drive settings. As such, the OD sounded the sweetest at about 60% engagement. Beyond that, things get fuzzy & ceased to be complementary & affects definition. As the manufacturer had chosen to wire the TS circuit at the front end, the drive's tone control did more tone shaping than the treble/bass controls in this mode. At test time, I simply left the tone, treble & bass knobs at 50% setting & that sounded the creamiest. 

For the sake of testing, I managed to cascade a mild distortion unit into the amp & it did more harm than good. Returning to my initial assertion of the TSA5TVR being dirt sensitive, this one is definitely off limits if you wish to go full metal in terms of drive intensity. Through & through, the TSA5TVR packs quite a punch in terms of clean & slightly driven tones. I'd question the practicality of those legs there as they serve no purpose other than design details.

Rating: 80%

Ibanez: TSA5TVR
Availability: Swee Lee Co.
Price: SGD380
International online price: USD399/ AUS479/ Euro285 (less shipping)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hands down, the worst piece of musical equipment I've bought in my 50 years of playing! A total 'lemon', this amp stopped working within the first month. Turn on, play five minutes, the amp is done! My first one shut down and refused to play. After returning it to my local guitar shop, and a good shop it is, I got an even exchange for a new one! Great! After a couple weeks, this one also, began to sputter. The TS unit stopped functioning!

I was so exasperated that I returned it. This time I never shouldn't accepted the offer, but I did. I got a third Tube Screamer 5 watt amp. Now, six months later, it looses power, gradually fades, becoming silent after a few moments. Switching it off and on again sometimes brings it back to full volume, but not at all today. Then, running at a quarter of its usual, even turning it up all the way, the struggling amp lost its reverb. This is too much!

Three amps! All were sour grapes! I've tried everything,mak though there isn't much trouble shooting a person can do. I've left it on for hours. Sometimes it operates, sometimes not. Sorry Ibanez, you CAN NOT build amps! Three strikes and you're out. FAIL ...!